The Chargers scored big this week when the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce voted Thursday to endorse their plan for a new East Village stadium.
So far, organized labor groups are the only other major institutions that have thrown their support behind the team’s initiative, which would hike the city’s hotel tax to help pay for a new convadium, or stadium and convention center mashup.
Meanwhile, the anti-convadium camp has organized itself as No Downtown Stadium – Jobs and Streets First, a diverse coalition of folks who want to make the case that the city should prioritize other needs before subsidizing a stadium.
District 6 Councilman Chris Cate is one of the leaders of the coalition, and he joined the podcast this week to talk about why he’s opposed to the plan.
“The Chargers and [special adviser to the team] Fred Maas like to go around and talk about how this will not impact neighborhoods or impact the city at all,” Cate said. “That it protects the general fund and all those things, but it’s absolutely not true and I have a huge issue with folks voting on a $2 billion proposal – a tax increase for a huge infrastructure project – without any of the details whatsoever regarding the cost for construction, financing, detailed plans.”
Cate said the plan would have major impacts on the city – most people just don’t know about them yet. And he said the city has too many other priorities to justify subsidizing a stadium for the Chargers. He also questioned the proposed facility’s actual function as a convention center, saying it’s just not clear whether it would meet the city’s needs, nor is it clear who will run the space.
Support Independent Journalism Today
City had problems for years now. Where was Ron Roberts and Chris cate with the Mayor then? They didn't fix anything. So now all of a sudden they have a plan to fix things and the stadium won't let them? Give me a break! The General Fund is 100% protected hate to say this cut Chris Cate you are either mistaken or lying when you say that.
I think the deal should be that we'll pay for it the year after the Chargers win a superbowl. At least we'll have a couple hundred years to save for it.
Sorry folks but this is the conservative case for the convadium: Have the NFL and Spanos renovate the MV Q following exactly the Steven Ross model in Florida:
@Dean Plassaras --Yes, it's a great idea. But Ross owns his stadium in Florida. Spanos does not. He will not do this.
This stadium thingy is getting uber absurd. So Spanos waits for a City of Upland case vs. Kid Charlemagne decision to see what exact % vote he needs and we take this whole thing seriously?