Stay up to Date
Read Voice of San Diego's weekly arts and culture roundup (Tuesdays)
Art has the ability of changing a person’s life, and that’s not just hippie, artsy-fartsy talk. The Oscar-winning documentary short “Inocente,” about a young, homeless, undocumented girl’s quest to create art is a prime example of that. Women, particularly those from developing countries, struggle to make something of themselves, and sometimes lean on their beautiful art and crafts as a means for advancement.
The Museum of Man is aiding women in these circumstances with its upcoming Folk Art Market, an event happening from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday where 10 female-centered cooperatives from around the world will sell their handmade, artisanal wares, keeping 90 percent of the proceeds for themselves and the female artists involved. The other 10 percent will go to the International Folk Art Alliance, the organizer of the market that flew the women and their goods out for the event.
The Folk Art Market coincides with the museum exhibition “Empowering Women: Artisan Cooperatives that Transform Communities,” which shares the stories and crafts that are dramatically changing the lives of the women and women-led organizations across the globe.
“The museum is about bringing people together over shared culture, so this is a perfect match. We’re learning about other people: how they live, how much they’re like us and how they’re different. We’re doing this through beautiful handcrafted goods — stuff that most of us could never make for ourselves but which we immediately connect to: a basket to hold our food, a purse to hold our valuables, a scarf to keep us warm, a necklace to feel attractive,” said Grant Barrett of the Museum of Man. “These things feel vital and precious when you hold them, bigger, in a way, than they look. I think it might be the stories that are attached: how these women started with tiny little businesses and have now been able to share their work with the world.”
• CityBeat reports on the controversial Opportunity Gallery, which asks artists interested in showing their work to rent out the space in order to do so, and their first taker.
• Suspicious minds take over at “Paranoia, Mind Control and the Art of Suggestion,” an exhibition featuring outsider art work by more than 30 artists. CityBeat talks to some of the twisted minds behind the exhibition.
• KPBS tells us about the new Mingei International Museum exhibition, “Surf Craft,” which will give visitors more well-rounded insight into the sport and art of surfing. But will there be a section devoted to surfer’s favorite post-tide ripping California burritos? The people want to know!
• A renovated La Jolla space becomes prime real estate for an exhibition on the area’s midcentury modern history. (U-T)
• The San Diego Symphony’s community engagement project, “Your Song, Your Story,” was hugely successful, according to the U-T, and I don’t think anyone would dispute it.
• R&B legend/cool name-haver, Swamp Dogg, and electronic musician/bald head-haver Moby are confirmed as speakers at this year’s San Diego Music Thing, happening in September. More speakers and performers will be confirmed as the date approaches.
• A reimagined version of the musical “Into the Woods” comes to The Old Globe, where it premiered nearly 30 years ago.
• “Damaged Goods” is not only the name of a killer Gang of Four song. It’s also the name of a multimedia dance and literary collaboration between lit group So Say We All and Jean Isaacs San Diego Dance Theater.
• This week I wrote about the recently created Barrio Art Association, which has two missions: to promote Barrio Logan artists and to conserve the Barrio way of life. While some are applauding the BAA’s efforts, others have voiced their distrust of the group. What do you think? Let us know.
• If you’ve ever had aspirations to run away and join the circus, you can join up with the recently resurrected Fern Street Circus. (CityBeat)
• The Che Café pulled a freelancer move and got its deadline pushed back. The iconic live music and art venue’s eviction notice was pushed back 60 days, giving it more time to fight the closure. (CityBeat)
• In the latest installment of my San Diego CityBeat column, There She Goz, I revisit the hope and dreams of my teenage years upon turning “dirty 30.” I hate the term “dirty 30,” by the way.
• A new book on a local legend, astronaut Sally Ride, will shed light on the space pioneer’s private life and her work promoting science among young girls. (KPBS)
• KPBS hypes us up for this weekend’s Pride Parade and Festival with its interview with Fernando López Jr. of San Diego LGBT Pride.
• Speaking of the Pride Parade and Festival, the U-T breaks down five things we need to know about the event.
• Shakespeare becomes more accessible thanks to Upstart Crow’s free monthly open readings. It’s the best place to test out your Lady Macbeth or Puck. (U-T)